What is website performance testing?
This can be defined as ‘Taking cautious action against a web application or website for its ability to function under different circumstances. The circumstances could be load time, response time, low bandwidth, etc.’
Reporting of test results plays a vital role in optimizing performance of the website. Continual information and data sharing is crucial for better efficiency and overall success of a performance testing project. In real world scenario, not all of these data sharing and information is needed to build a formal or semi-formal report.
Managers and stakeholders require more detailed and conclusion based results. If you consider technical team, they also require various information such as analysis, comparison and details about the way you’ve obtained results. So, how to carry it out effectively? Well, one of the possible solutions or techniques is to forward the summary charts and tables each and every day through email with some key considerations to the stakeholders. You can use whatever feedback or review received from the stakeholders to make a decision what you’re going to include in a formal or semi-formal report. There are several automation tools for software performance testing available.
However, sometimes you may need to go beyond the scope to fulfill the needs of all consumers of performance test results and data with the help of a wide range of reporting and result-sharing methods. In this article, we’re going to cover some of the basic techniques that you can use for effective reporting of performance tests.
• Always report early and frequently As we discussed earlier, to achieve desired success of a performance testing project, frequent flow of information and data sharing is critical. In real world scenario, not all of these data sharing and information is needed to build a formal or semi-formal report. You can send daily or alternatively the charts and tables to the stakeholders and get their feedback to decide what will be in formal or in semi-formal report. It will help you identify the crucial requirements of targeted audience before creating what is intended to be a final document.
• Visually appealing report matters a lot Sending just a document full of text-based information or data won’t help you achieve success in your performance testing project. Instead, one should try to represent information and data with the help of various graphics and visual elements as it will be easy for the users to understand. This becomes crucial when you’re providing performance results data.
• Make it intuitive Reports should clearly convey why the information is important and if it fails to convey its importance, it is time for you to make it intuitive. However, it is not important that the report provides the answers to the issues to be effective, but the issues should be easily identifiable and understandable. You can get feedback from someone unknown about the report by removing all the graphs, charts and other presentations to see how easily he/she can understand the issues and its importance.
• Highlight specific issues with appropriate statistics It is very common that developers, testers and even managers don’t have appropriate and accurate statistical details, which may result into a misrepresentation of the performance test results while reporting. Try to find the accurate statistic to highlight specific issues.
• Combine data accurately Of course, it is not at all compulsory to combine reports or results, but it would be quite easy to demonstrate specific results when they’re combined into a single graph. However, it is important to note that in order to consolidate the results correctly, test and test environment should be identical.
• Summarize data effectively To highlight useful patterns in the test results, it is crucial to summarize data in an appropriate manner. When you include tables and charts, it is easy for the users to recognize various trends and patterns of test results. Such charts and tables make it easy for the team members to take some important decisions regarding system or application.
• Customize reports for the intended audience Technical team members, non-technical members and even the stakeholders are referring performance test results and therefore, it is crucial to customize reports for targeted or intended audience. It is crucial for you to consider the intended audience and their expectations before you present the results to them.
• A detailed verbal summaries It is a must to incorporate detailed rather than short summary related to the report. You can analyze your intended audience and include information within the summary respectively. Some may require only a few words whereas others may require a detailed information.
• Make the data available Many people never share performance data with anyone as they feel scared that someone will not understand or analyze it correctly. However, it is not at all the real scenario as it is quite impossible to expect some third person to understand or extract everything at once. Therefore, it is advisable to make the data available to others.
Follow all the considerations discussed above in this article to effectively report the performance testing. For more details or suggestions leave the comments…!